Monday, June 22, 2009


Tonight's dinner began as a pork tenderloin special at Garden of Eden about a month ago, during the height of swine flu panic. I'd ordered a quarter pound, saw the price, did a double-take and asked for a few extra cuts. (I can't remember what it was now, but I think it was something totally insane like $2.99/lb. Hot damn!) I stuck the miscellaneous pork in the freezer, feeling totally thrifty and proud of myself.

When I saw the bok choy in this week's CSA pickup, I knew that my frozen pork had finally found its companion. I came home from work late today, after a bridal shower gift buying excursion that somehow turned into a shoe shopping excursion, and all I wanted to do was flip open my phone and order a bucket of sweet and sour chicken. But the bok choy and defrosted pork chunk were calling me instead.

"Eat us! We're dying in here!" they said. (Well... not dying so much as wilting. Or... defrosting. You know, whatever it is that food does that makes it important to eat it really soon.)

I obliged. Ten minutes - and a little bit of mysterious "stir fry sauce" - later, there was pork, scallion and bok choy stir fry on the table... and all was right with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment