Thursday, April 23, 2009



You've got to love early spring. The days are getting longer, crocuses are blooming in people's front yards, I'm stocking up on flip-flops and getting my bike tuned up... but even better than all of these things combined, it's finally pea season! Pea greens in a salad, chilled pea soup, freshly shelled peas steamed with a little bit of butter... I say, om nom nom to all of the above!

I haven't come across fresh peas at the farmer's market yet - though I've got my fingers crossed for this weekend - but I just couldn't resist the bag of sugar snap peas at Trader Joe's on Monday. Together with the big, lovely bunch of asparagus next to them on the shelf, they're the best part of the awesome spring-y salad I've been eating all week.

I chopped up the asparagus stalks and quickly blanched them, along with the sugar snap peas, then tossed them into a Ziplock and into the fridge. The lettuce base for the salad is butter lettuce, radicchio, organic microgreens and some chopped up fresh dill, all tossed together and popped into its own Ziplock. In the morning, I combine a bit of each into a salad-size container, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sea salt, a few slices of luscious, soft chevre and a sprinkle of walnuts. Voila! I may be lunching under the fluorescent lights at my desk, but I'm eating pure springtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment